So here’s something exciting: today is the first day of the Mixed Conference for Food Bloggers and I’m super excited. I get to participate in a workshop with Helen Dujardin of Tartelette (she’s also the author of the book Plate to Pixel) and Tami Hardeman-Boutte of Running with Tweezers (yeah ATL)! I’m so excited.
However, since you can’t be at the conference with me, I’ve made you a Cranberry Chicken Salad. Since I was going out of town for the conference, I wanted to try to use up the perishable food in my refrigerator before I left. I had a bunch of odds and ends left over from Friendsgiving the other weekend and decided to throw them together to make a chicken salad. If you, for some crazy reason, have a ton of turkey left over, go ahead and give this a shot with the turkey.
Since I was headed out of town, I packed up the chicken salad with me for the 7 hour drive and was able to resist the allure of roadside fast food because I had delicious chicken salad to keep me sated!
I highly recommend using poached chicken or chicken cooked sous vide in chicken salad rather than grilled or roasted chicken because the texture is much softer. I think that makes for a more pleasant chicken salad.
Two last notes – my first e-cookbook, The 12 Desserts of Christmas, is now available! Check it out here.
In honor of The 12 Desserts of Christmas, I’m hosting a giveaway. Enter here for a chance to win a Cuisinart Mini Prep Plus!
1 1/2 lbs chopped cooked Chicken (Approx. 4 – 5 breasts)1 C diced Apples
1/2 C chopped Pecans
1/2 C diced Celery
1 C Mayonnaise
1/4 C Sour Cream
1/3 C diced Yellow Onion
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
1 tsp Mustard Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Sugar
1/4 tsp minced Dill – optional
1/8 tsp ground Black Pepper
1 C fresh Cranberries
Add the chicken, apples, pecans and celery to a bowl and mix.
Stir together the mayonnaise, sour cream, onion, lemon juice, mustard powder, salt, sugar, dill and black pepper.
Briefly chop the cranberries in a food processor or blender until the cranberries are broken down into pieces.
Add the cranberries to the mayonnaise mixture.
Stir the mayonnaise mixture into the chicken until the chicken is evenly coated.
Store in the refrigerator until ready to use. The chicken salad is particularly good in a sandwich with bacon.
- 1½ lbs chopped cooked Chicken, preferably poached or cooked sous vide. (Approx. 4 - 5 breasts)
- 1 C diced Apples
- ½ C chopped Pecans
- ½ C diced Celery
- 1 C Mayonnaise
- ¼ C Sour Cream
- ⅓ C diced Yellow Onion
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Mustard Powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Sugar
- ¼ tsp minced Dill - optional
- ⅛ tsp ground Black Pepper
- 1 C fresh Cranberries
- Add the chicken, apples, pecans and celery to a bowl and mix.
- Stir together the mayonnaise, sour cream, onion, lemon juice, mustard powder, salt, sugar, dill and black pepper.
- Briefly chop the cranberries in a food processor or blender until the cranberries are broken down into pieces.
- Add the cranberries to the mayonnaise mixture.
- Stir the mayonnaise mixture into the chicken until the chicken is evenly coated.
- Store in the refrigerator until ready to use. The chicken salad is particularly good in a sandwich with bacon.